Willie Yao was born in Shanghai and now living in New York.
Yao entered the media and marketing industry where he developed his painting and design skills, serving as the illustrator for GQ, Bazaar, Modern Weekly, and other media outlets in China.
In 2013, Willie relocated to New York where he was able to truly define his own artistic vision establishing his distinctive and recognizable graffiti style. His vivid color scheme and line work evoke the compositions of notable contemporary artists Keith Haring, Julian Schnabel, and Jean Michel Basquiat.
His work is figurative and deeply individualistic, inviting the observer to ask questions about the Yao's Chinese identity, psychology, and life experiences.
Yao has had exhibitions and worked in Shanghai, Beijing, and New York.
Yao is now working as a Creative-in-Residence in the Delaware Contemporary. The overall scope of work is in the capacity of a visual artist, guest curator, press and media relations agent, and Chinese communication and cultural specialist.
· SABA III of The Delaware Contemporary, Wilmington, USA
· China Rendes-Vous, Hainan, China
· ART021 Shanghai Contemporary Art Fair, Shanghai, China
· Culture Licensing Fair 2015, Beijing, China
· Monsters of the Bronx, New York, USA
· f = 1/T, Dongguan, China
· Almost Art Project, Beijing, China
· HALF : HALF, Wilmington, USA
· 2, New York, USA